The recent high demand for full-day kindergarten in Braintree has caused school officials to . During the School Committee meeting on Monday night, Superintendent Dr. Peter Kurzberg offered an update on the program ahead of a Feb. 9 information night at at 7 p.m. The school system also distributed the below FAQ about FDK.
"It's very exciting to see the interest in full-day kindergarten," Principal and FDK coordinator Mary Struzziero said on Monday. "It's quite a remarkable growth."
Frequently Asked Questions – Full-Day Kindergarten Program
1. How many full-day kindergarten classes will there be?
At a minimum, 3 at Braintree High School. At the most, 3 at Braintree High School and one at each elementary school for a total of 9. In the end, it could be anywhere from 3-9.
2. How will we know when, or if, a full-day kindergarten program will be offered in my home school?
We anticipate being able to notify everyone by March 15.
3. How will home school students be selected?
In order for the home school to be offered, all slots for the High School must be filled first. Home school students will be selected in order of the lottery drawing.
4. What is the cost of the program?
$3,000. There is a reduced fee for those eligible for free/reduced lunch.
5. When are deposits due?
A non-refundable $300 deposit will be due by March 1st. A payment schedule will be given out at the information meeting. If the location you selected is not being offered, your deposit will be refunded.
6. Is transportation available?
Transportation will be available for home schools if you are currently eligible for transportation. While we are looking at the possibility of offering it at the High School, there is no transportation provided at this time.
7. If I don't get into my home school program or Braintree High School, will I be able to attend a full day kindergarten at another school?
Possibly. If so, you would need to provide your own transportation.
8. Will the programs at Braintree High School and the home school be the same?
The programs will be the same but home schools will not have a paraeducator in the class.
9. Is it possible to have too many students enrolled for kindergarten at a school so that a full day program would not be offered?
Yes, if there are too many students, the 1/2 day classes would be too large.
10. If I don't have an "H" next to my name, will I be eligible to go to the home school if selected?
Yes, if it is offered.
11. What are the hours of the program?
9:00-3:00 at Braintree High School; 8:45-2:50 if offered at the home school.
12. Will any student in the top 10 be given priority for the home school if that becomes an option?
13. Will we be able to tour the High School before putting down a deposit?
Yes. An evening will be scheduled between February 9th and March 1st.
14. When and how will deposits be collected?
A check should be made out to the Braintree Full Day Kindergarten and sent to Braintree Public Schools, 348 Pond Street, Braintree, MA 02184. A form will be distributed on the evening of February 9th and distributed by email to all who expressed an interest in the program. Deposits will be collected any time after February 9th.
–Braintree Public Schools