.

Quincy Leaving Trash Alliance Has No Financial Impact on Braintree, Mayor Says

Braintree and Weymouth could look into another partner for waste management or look at a new service provider.

Quincy's decision to sign on with a different waste management company to save money does not mean any significant changes for Braintree residents, Mayor Joseph Sullivan said.

"I respect and appreciate Mayor [Thomas] Koch's mind set," Sullivan said in an interview Wednesday, following the news that Quincy had signed a 10-year lease with Boston-based Sunrise Scavender Inc.

The move saves Quincy several million dollars and means five new hybrid collection trucks for the city, according to the Boston Globe.

Braintree and Weymouth will continue what Sullivan said has been a successful parternship over the past five years. Both communities have a one-year option with their current provider Capitol Waste that they could exercise this July.

Either this summer or next, Braintree and Weymouth could solicit bids, looking for savings themselves. They may also explore bringing another nearby town into the partnership.

Sullivan said that Quincy's new provider, Sunrise Scavender, reached out to him on Monday. He and Weymouth Mayor Susan Kay will meet again soon to discuss future plans.

"We'll continue to monitor our own options," Sullivan said, while stressing that the town's current waste management firm "has offered us a valued service."

Despite the switch, Quincy will still bring its waste to the Braintree Transfer Station run by Covanta, providing the town with a host fee.

The change will not affect Braintree's trash fee, Sullivan said. Through service partnerships and a focus on growing recycling – 34 percent of households recycle, up from 20 percent when Sullivan took office – the mayor said he would eventually like to see the trash fee disappear.

Joseph Markman March 07, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Hi Mack, I got an update on that recycling program earlier this year. The mayor said he is looking to bring back the barrel distribution after spending time trying to work out "something more dramatic" among Braintree, Weymouth and Quincy, which did not happen. I'll update as soon as I find out more.
Chet March 07, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Thanks for the followup Joseph. Looks like they were only giving away the barrel sized bins versus the big rolling types that every other town seems to have. I don't want to make waves about a $10 barrel. I just hate when they send out press releases with requisite corny photo opp and then fail to deliver.
Robert Kearns March 07, 2013 at 07:49 PM
It seems like the 34 percent is wrong in my neighborhood 98% of people recycle. Also can you find out where the town of Braintree's recycle goes to. I am wondering the local recycling facility where they take the trucks is, because under my understanding on Ivory Street the trucks just dump the trash.
Mike March 08, 2013 at 04:02 AM
The 34% is not saying that is the % of residents that recycle, but rather the % amount of sold waste collected 34% is being recycled the other 66% is trash. Trash gets dumped at Covanta on Ivory St and recyclables are taken to Speigel in Avon Ma.
Joseph Markman March 08, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification Mike!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »