.

Big Braintree Gardens Blaze Blamed on Overloaded Power Cord

Six people were hurt in the Thursday morning blaze.

The scene of a fire at 287 Commercial St. Thursday morning. Credit: WHDH/7News
The scene of a fire at 287 Commercial St. Thursday morning. Credit: WHDH/7News
Authorities said a fire that injured six people at the Braintree Gardens condominium complex Thursday morning was caused by an overloaded extension cord.

The fire at 287 Commercial St. reached two alarms. All six people were treated for smoke inhalation.

Officials said the fire broke out in a first-floor hallway where a motorized wheelchair was plugged into an extension cord that was plugged into a second, smaller extension cord. It was then plugged into an ungrounded outlet.

May is Electrical Safety Month. In 2013, five people died in electrical home fires in Massachusetts; it was the second-leading cause of fire deaths behind smoking.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »