Today is Thanksgiving, celebrated in the U.S. on the fourth Thursday in November and in Canada on the second Monday in October. The tradition in the U.S. today most often is traced back to a 1621 celebration in Plymouth, MA. Formally, the holiday dates back to the founding of America, though it has been proclaimed a holiday by presidents dating back to 1863 and was made a federal holiday in 1941.
1. All local, state and federal government offices are closed today, including , the Senior Center and all schools in Braintree. Most stores are also closed, with some exceptions, so call ahead!
From the town: "Due to the Thanskgiving Day holiday on Thursday, November 24, the curbside collection of waste and recycling will be one day late for Thursday and Friday pick up the week of November 21. Thursday pick up will occur on Friday, November 25 and Friday pick up will occur on Saturday, November 26."
2. football takes on Milton away today in the 82nd matchup between the squads on Thanksgiving at 10 a.m. Last year, , and though , the Wamps have recently dominated.
3. The South Shore Walkabouts Meetup Group is hosting at at 8:30 a.m. "We will walk the loop twice which totals 3.5 miles. Our pace is generally around 1 hr and 10 minutes for the two loops." The registration deadline has now passed. But stop by to support them or use this as a reminder if you registered!
4. The BHS Powder Puff game is at 12 p.m. today at the football field.
5. Happy Thanksgiving! Have any cool traditions? Photos or video from a kitchen mishap? Send them in!