Chester A. Arthur, the 21st President of the United States, was born today in 1829. Also born on this day in history: McDonald's founder Ray Kroc (1902), musician Steve Miller (1943), baseball writer Bill James (1949), actor Daniel Baldwin (1960), NBA player Grant Hill (1972) and actress Kate Winslet (1975).
1. There are two Estate Planning Essentials Workshops today at . Both are held by Robert Romano (617-769-9843) in the Logan Auditorium, the first from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and the second from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. "Are your assets protected? If not, you need to attend this free workshop by Attorney Robert Romano. He will cover Estate Planning, Medicaid Planning and Elder Law issues. Reserve your seat today."
2. Today is an early release day for Braintree Public School students because of professional development for teachers. Dismissal times are as follows: 11:10 a.m. BHS; 11:45 a.m. Middle School; 12:10 p.m. elementary; and 10:30 a.m. for AM Kindergarten (no afternoon session.)
3. Ages 3 to 5 can go to storytime at the library in the Children's Room at both 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. today. "...longer stories, songs and a more involved craft, with Norma. Session runs through December 14. It will not meet on Wed. Oct. 26 and Wed. Nov. 23. Please sign-up! Your sign-up covers the whole series through December."
4. Girls freshmen soccer plays at home at 3:45 p.m. against Oliver Ames High School today.
5. is hosting "Living with Better Hearing" at 1 p.m. today. "Participants will learn about hearing impairment and its impact on communication and relationships, what new hearing aid technology and assistive listening devices are available, and how to develop more effective listening and communication skills."