On this day in 1967 Muhammad Ali was convicted by of violating Selective Service laws by a federal jury in Houston for refusing to be drafted. From the original New York Times article: "After Clay had refused in April to take the Army induction oath, the World Boxing Association and the New York Athletic Commission stripped him of his title.... 'If I can say so, sir,' he said, 'my religion is not political in no way.'"
1. The local chapter of Business Network International (BNI), is meeting at today from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. The meeting is open to anyone who owns a business or works in the South Shore.
2. The Weymouth-Braintree Regional Recreation Conservation District meets at 7 p.m. at 470 Liberty St.
3. Should reach 96 degrees in Braintree today, according to the National Weather Service. Mostly sunny and hot through Thursday night, when showers are possible.
4. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Crafts and Quilting Group
Noon Pool Players and Poker
1 p.m. BINGO Special with prizes from Royal Rehab. Nursing Home, and Grief Support 8 wk Meeting. See newsletter and call to sign up please!
2 p.m. Tai Chi Class “Yang 24 Form”
5. Walk-in registration starts today, through June 27, for Secondary Summer School at . It is from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the third floor guidance office. For more info, go to http://www.gpvillage.com/bhs.