"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness..."
1. Today is Independence Day! It is the celebration of the day that Congress approved the wording of the Declaration of Independence, and falls two days after a formal vote to separate from Great Britain.
2. The Braintree Bi-Centennial Time Capsule Society holds a ceremony this morning from 9 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. at that includes an annual inspection of the Time Capsule Cairn.
For a full program of events and for a story on the capsule, see this article: http://patch.com/A-vJw2.
3. All city, state and federal offices are closed today. That includes the U.S. Post Office, which does not deliver mail on the 4th of July. That also includes Braintree government buildings, including Thayer Public Library and the Senior Center. Also:
- Banks and stock markets are closed on Wednesday. According to Day Trading Stock Blog, The Stock Market, which includes the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, and NYSE, closes early on Tuesday, July 3. The Stock Market close time will be at 1 p.m. EST with after hours trading ending at 5 p.m. EST. The stock market will also be closed on July 4 and will open back up for regular trading on July 5.
- Restaurants, bars, convenience stores, retail stores and liquor stores will be open at the owners' discretion.
4. The National Weather Service predicts a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8 a.m. today, with temperatures reaching the low 80s. Chance of precipitation into the night, at about 30 percent likelihood.
5. For coverage of Braintree's 4th of July Celebration, held last Saturday, check out these articles:
ALSO, check out this article on fireworks safety: