On this day in history, the Wyoming territory was created (1868), Puerto Rico became a part of the U.S. (1952), Bob Dylan busted out his electric guitar at the Newport Folk Festival (1965), the first woman, a Soviet cosmonaut, walked in space (1984), and California became the first state to ban trans fats in restaurants (2008).
1. Mayor Sullivan and the Braintree Recreation Department are offering this a "Party in the Park" this evening, at Penniman Park, located on Cleveland Avenue next to the Department of Elder Affairs (formerly the Council on Aging) from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The grills will be heated for free hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, snacks and beverages. Our DJ will play the music. There will be group games, activities and fun for all. It’s all free and it will be a great neighborhood/family cookout.
2. The School Committee's Budget Subcommittee is meeting at 12 p.m. today at the Colbert School on Pond Street to go over the budget process and its reporting.
3. The Reader's Group Book Club meets at at 6:45 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium. This meeting's book is The Life of Pi by Yann Martel.
4. Today is Free Pinberry Greek Yogurt Wednesdays. For more info go to .
5. Thayer Library is also featuring today board game fun, scary stories and more. For a full schedule go to http://www.eventkeeper.com/code/events.cfm?curOrg=THAYER.