On this day in history: Czar Nicholas II of Russia and his family were killed by the Bolsheviks (1918), Disneyland opened (1955), TWA Flight 800 to Paris from New York exploded soon after taking off and crashed, killing everyone on board (1996).
1. The meets at 7:30 p.m. at this evening. The agenda includes re-appointment of the Town Clerk, a continued public hearing on re-zoning 7-11 Independence Ave. and a citizen petition for road safety signs on Jefferson Street.
UPDATE: This subcommittee meeting has been cancelled. The above full council meeting will be held. The Committee on Ways & Means also meets ahead of time at 6:45 p.m.
2. Olde Kids on the Block performs tonight as part of the . From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
"Back to our concert series for their fourth summer, this will be another Big Band Night at the gazebo with eighteen musicians featuring the sounds of Dorsey, Miller, Basie and more. They've proven themselves with great vocals and instrumentation bringing back memories galore in just two short hours with sunny breezes cooling you just enough tonight."
3. is showing A League of Their Own at 6 p.m. tonight as part of "One Braintree, One Book."
Craft for Ages 3 and Up is also at the library at 2:30 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium.
4. The Braintree White Sox, part of the Cranberry League, plays the Brockton Dirtdogs at 6 p.m. at Massasoit Community College in Brockton.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue today include:
9 a.m. Walking Group and Chess
9:30 a.m. Computer 101A and Bocce (outdoors)
10 a.m. SHINE ins. help and Wii Bowling
10:45 a.m. Computer 101B
1 p.m. Bridge & Cribbage