Daniel Webster was born in Salisbury, N.H. on this day in 1782. The first landing of an aircraft on a ship took place on this day in 1911, according to the NY Times archives, when pilot Eugene B. Ely flew onto the deck of the USS Pennsylvania in San Francisco. Marion Barry, mayor of Washington D.C., was arrested in 1990 for drug possession. In 1993, the MLK Jr. holiday was celebrated in all 50 states for the first time.
1. SEPAC is presenting a Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office Anti-Bullying Workshop at this evening from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium. The workshop will provide awareness and a discussion of the state's new anti-bullying legislation and how it pertains to special education students and their families.
2. The Weymouth-Braintree Regional Recreation Conservation District meets today at 470 Liberty St. at 7 p.m.
3. Today is the last day to register for the After School Art Classes at Braintree High, as Cathy Kenny reports in . Under the direction of art teacher Mrs. Heidi Hurley, middle school students can take courses such as Cartooning, creative drawing and painting, and digital design instructed by the National Art Honor Society students. The six week program runs from Jan. 25 through March 7 at Braintree High School. The cost of the course is $30. Materials are provided.
4. Thayer Library is also hosting two classes of Computer Series Session II for those who signed up, on the lower level from 9:15 a.n. to 10:15 a.m. and again from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Board Games for Kids is in the Children's Room at the library from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. No signup required.
5. BHS boys varsity ice hockey plays Weymouth this evening at the Zapustas Arena in Randolph at 6 p.m. JV boys compete at at 3 p.m.