The second and last person to die from being hit by a baseball in an MLB game was Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians, who was hit in the head on this day in 1920 and died the next day. Babe Ruth passed away on this day in 1948, at age 53. In 1954, Sports Illustrated was published for the first time.
1. The Braintree Retirement Board meets at 10 a.m. today on the second floor of 74 Pond St.
2. The Grand Finale of this summer's "One Braintree, One Book" is happening this evening from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at next to .
3. The Rotary Club of Braintree meets at 12:15 p.m. at today.
4. is hosting Open Scrabble at 6 p.m. on the lower level and also a Resume and Job Workshop from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium. Call 781-681-7003 or go to www.1lifeatatime.org for more information.
5. If you haven't already, go to http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/braintree_historical_commission to participate in the Braintree Historical Commission's survey.