On Oct. 26, 1984, a newborn with a defective heart was given the heart of a baboon in an experimental transplant in Loma Linda, Calif. Dr. Leonard L. Bailey, who performed the surgery, told reporters three days later that he did not look for a human heart first, as his focus was on animal organ transplant. This, the surgery itself and questionable follow-up procedures drew harsh criticism and Baby Fae lived only 21 more days.
1. Braintree plays Weymouth in the Homecoming football game tonight at 7 p.m. at Braintree High.
2. The Braintree Community Youth Center is hosting a Halloween Dance for grades 6-12 featuring a Best Costume Contest and Best Dance Contest. $5 admission. For more info, go to http://braintree.patch.com/events/bcyc-halloween-dance.
3. Heads up: The Teen Advisory Group Special Meeting is at Thayer Public Library on Saturday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium.
4. The Braintree Haunted House is open from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. tonight. More info here: http://braintree.patch.com/events/braintrees-haunted-house-krnvl-of-krnij.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Weight Loss Support
10:30 a.m. Blood Pressure by Home Instead at Senior Center (free)
11 a.m. Tai Chi Class and Library Bound (please call for van ride)
Noon Pool Players
1 p.m. Women’s Poker