Today is Veterans Day, a federal holiday in the United States observed every Nov. 11 to honor all of those who have served in the armed forces. Around the world, Armistice or Remembrance day is also commemorated, all marking the end of World War I. Following decades of honoring the day, Congress officially created Veterans Day in 1954.
1. Though Veterans Day was yesterday, its holiday is recognized today and that means local, state and federal government offices are closed, including Thayer Public Library and the schools.
2. Retail establishments in Braintree will be allowed to open at noontime on today, according to Police Chief Russell Jenkins.
3. Share your Veterans Day thoughts, memories and photos here: http://braintree.patch.com/articles/veterans-day-share-your-photos-of-braintree-veterans#photo-6296696.
4. There is a chance of showers tonight, the National Weather Service reports, but today should be mostly sunny with a high near 69 degrees in Braintree.
5. The Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue is closed today.