Today is Columbus Day, a federal holiday in the United States since 1934. Columbus was born in 1451, in the Republic of Genoa in northwestern Italy. He was not the first to reach the Americas, but his impact was the most profound, opening up the continents to the rest of the western world. Columbus's voyages are also noted for the devastating impact they had on the native populations. He died at age 54 in Spain, reportedly of a heart attack.
1. There is no school today, the Thayer Public Library and all other government offices are closed, and curbside waste pickup is shifted forward a day.
2. Today should be sunny but also cool, with highs approaching 60 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Getting cold tonight, maybe less than 40 degrees.
3. Modified MBTA schedules today. The Red Line will operate on a Saturday schedule. For a full accounting, go to http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news_events/?id=25625&month=&year=.
4. Do you know of any great Halloween displays in Braintree? Email email@example.com with pics or tips, or visit www.facebook.com/braintreepatch to share with the community.
5. The Senior Center is closed today.