Braintree native John Adams was born on this day in 1735. In 1953, George C. Marshall was awared the Nobel Peace Prize. Using his famous rope-a-dope technique, Muhammed Ali knocked out George Foreman in the eighth of 15 rounds in Zaire in 1974.
1. Depending on what happens with Hurricane Sandy, the following events are subject to change. Follow up-to-date storm coverage in Braintree here: http://braintree.patch.com/articles/hurricane-sandy-braintree-info-center.
2. There is a "Fright Fest" for teens at Thayer Public Library from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium. "Teens, are you ready to be frightened? Come to the library for horrifyingly scary tales and urban legends told in the dark, a zombie make-up contest, a chance to try out some ghoulish food, and more. For teens in grades 6-12. Please note, REGISTRATION REQUIRED."
3. Braintree High School 9th and 12th graders will see a presentation from Dr. Michael Fowlin at 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. on race and discrimination.
4. Note: the South Shore Young Adult Librarians meeting scheduled for today has been postponed.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9 a.m. S&S Bus (housing) and Chess
9:30 a.m. Computer 101A and Bocce (outdoors)
10 a.m. Walking Group, SHINE ins. help and Wii Bowling
10:45 a.m. Computer 101B
12 p.m. “Cons & Frauds” Seminar by Braintree Co-Op Bank-sign up please
1 p.m. Bridge & Cribbage
5 p.m. Alzheimer’s Meeting with speakers & light supper. Please call to reserve spot.