On this day in 1957, the Soviet Union launched the first man-made satellite, Sputnik, into outer space. How about this for foresight, from a New York Times article at the time: "Military experts have said that the satellites would have no practicable military application in the foreseeable future. ... Nor could they be used in connection with the proposed plan for aerial inspection of military forces around the world."
1. The School Committee budget subcommittee meets at 4 p.m. at the Colbert School this afternoon to discuss the end-of-year financial report and to review the ongoing fiscal year 2013.
2. The Braintree Women's Club meets at Braintree Sons of Italy at 6:30 p.m. this evening.
3. The Rotary Club of Braintree meets at 12:15 p.m. at Mastrangelo Family Catering.
4. Thayer Public Library is hosting Open Scrabble at 6:30 p.m. on the lower level.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9 a.m. Chess
9:30 a.m. Chair Yoga
Noon Pool Players
1 p.m. Art Group, Knit/Crochet and Bid Whist