On this day in 1861, the first transcontinental telegraph message was sent from California to President Abraham Lincoln. In 1931, the George Washington Bridge was dedicated. The 40-hour workweek took effect in 1940 on this day. The Toronto Blue Jays became the first non-American team to win the World Series, over the Braves in 1992.
1. The Braintree Contributory Retirement Board meets at 10 a.m. on the second floor of 74 Pond St.
2. Braintree Rehabilitation Hospital is offering free Balance Training and Fall Prevention Screenings today from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, go to http://braintree.patch.com/events/braintree-rehabilitation-hospital-to-host-free-balance-training-and-fall-prevention-screenings.
3. The Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meets at 7 p.m. at 85 Quincy Ave.
4. The Liberty School Council meets at 3:15 p.m. in the Guidance Office.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Crafts and Quilting Group
Noon Pool Players and Poker