On Feb. 21, 1925, The New Yorker published its first issue. Its genesis was as a sophisticated humor publication, but it soon turned serious, publishing a lengthy article entitled "Hiroshima," by famed journalist John Hersey. In the years since, the magazine has featured writers like Vladimir Nabokov, John Cheever, J.D. Salinger, Philip Roth, John Update, and Seymour Hersh, among others.
1. Braintree High sports today:
Girls Ice Hockey at Cougar Classic vs. TBD, Rockland Rink.
Boys Ice Hockey vs. Brockton, 2 pm, Asiaf Rink in Brockton.
2. Thayer Public Library hosts "Zumba for Teens and Kids" from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium. More info: http://www.eventkeeper.com/code/events.cfm?curOrg=THAYER
3. Should be partly sunny today with a high near freezing in Braintree, according to the National Weather Service. Cold and clear tonight, with winds gusting above 30 miles per hour.
4. The Rotary Club of Braintree meets at 12:15 p.m. at Mastrangelo Family Catering
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
8:30 a.m. Senior network Meeting - members only!
9 a.m. Chess
9:30 a.m. Chair Yoga
11:30 a.m. Quilting Group #2
Noon Pool Players
1 p.m. Art Group and Knit/Crochet
3:30 p.m. Wisdom Works Meeting