On this day in 1521, Martin Luther was excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church. In 1959, on Jan. 3, President Eisenhower signed a proclamation admitting Alaska as the United State's 49th state. In 1961, America broke off diplomatic ties with Cuba. Jack Ruby, the man who shot Lee Harvey Oswald, died in a hospital in Dallas on this day in 1967.
1. Liberty Elementary School continues its Coats for Kids drive through Jan. 12. See the school's website for more details: http://www.gpvillage.com/liberty.
2. Grade 9 at Braintree High School has a house meeting during second period.
3. The Braintree Women's Club is meeting at Braintree Sons of Italy at 7 p.m. More info on the club and meeting: http://braintree.patch.com/events/braintree-womens-club-meeting-7691b683.
4. It is not expected to be much warmer today than yesterday, according to the National Weather Service, with daytime temperatures in Braintree around 26 degrees but windchill putting the cold at more like zero. Temps dip somewhat tonight with mild wind.
5. The Braintree Rotary Club is meeting at 12:15 p.m. at Emerald Hall today.