Daniel Webster was born in Salisbury, N.H. on this day in 1782. The first landing of an aircraft on a ship took place on this day in 1911, according to the NY Times archives, when pilot Eugene B. Ely flew onto the deck of the USS Pennsylvania in San Francisco. Marion Barry, mayor of Washington D.C., was arrested in 1990 for drug possession. In 1993, the MLK Jr. holiday was celebrated in all 50 states for the first time.
1. The Braintree High School girls basketball team travels to Springfield this evening to compete in the 2013 Spalding Hoophall Classic against a team from Oregon. More info: http://braintree.patch.com/articles/braintree-high-offering-fan-bus-for-girls-basketball-game-in-springfield-this-week.
2. From the Department of Planning and Community Development:
"Applicants interested in submitting a CPA (Community Preservation Act) application have until Friday, March 1, 2013 (3PM) to make their submission at the Planning and Community Development Office - 90 Pond Street. The application and submission details are available on the CPC home page or by clicking here."
3. The BHS boys varsity basketball team is at home vs. Dedham at 6:30 p.m.
4. Sunny, cold and windy today in Braintree, according to the National Weather Service, with temps around 27 and wind gusting up to 28 miles per hour. Cloudy tonight with a low around 20.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Weight Loss Support
11 a.m. Tai Chi Class and Library van ride
Noon Pool Players
12:30 p.m. Ask the Lawyer (free) by appointments
1 p.m. Women’s Poker