On the origin of Christmas Eve, from Wikipedia: "One reason celebrations occur on Christmas Eve, is because the traditional Christian liturgical day starts at sunset - an inheritance from Jewish tradition. This is, in turn, based on the story of Creation in the Book of Genesis: "And there was evening, and there was morning – the first day."
1. Winter break for Braintree Public Schools students officially begins today, lasting through Jan. 1.
2. Braintree Town Hall is closed today and tomorrow, as is Thayer Public Library.
3. Today is not only the last to shop before Christmas, it is also the last to get your child's photo taken with Santa at the South Shore Plaza. More info here: http://braintree.patch.com/events/santa-is-coming-to-town-at-south-shore-plaza.
4. It should be clear, with some clouds but no precipitation today in Braintree, according to the National Weather Service.
5. Happy Holidays from Braintree Patch! Thank you for reading and for your thoughtful comments and wonderful contributions on the site. Have a Merry Christmas.