Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was born on Jan. 15, 1929, in Atlanta Georgia. He went on, of course, to use nonviolent methods of demonstration to lead the U.S. civil rights movement, becoming the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. Four years later he was assassinated in Memphis and Monday we celebrate his memory.
1. The Braintree High School Council meets at 3:30 p.m. in MC-17.
2. Avon Walk for Breast Cancer has an orientation meeting from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium at Thayer Public Library.
3. The Weymouth-Braintree Regional Recreation District meets at 7 p.m. at 470 Liberty St.
4. The BHS girls varsity ice hockey team takes on Dedham at 4 p.m. in Randolph this afternoon.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Crafts and Quilting Group #1
Noon Pool Players and Poker
1 p.m. Hearing Exams (free) by appointments, BINGO and Hearing Exam (free)