Born on this day in history: infamous former presidential candidate Gary Hart (1936), Randy Newman, known best for movie soundtracks and the song "Short People" (1943), actor Ed Harris (1950), actor Judd Nelson (1959), and comedian Jon Stewart (1962).
1. The Braintree Contributory Retirement Board meets at 10 a.m. on the second flood of 74 Pond St.
2. The Braintree High School PTO meets at 7 p.m. this evening.
3. The first day of the East Middle School Book Fair is in the media center today.
4. The Reader's Group Book Club meets at 7:15 p.m. at Thayer Public Library. This month's selection is The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story by Diane Ackerman.
For more Thayer Library events today, go to http://www.eventkeeper.com/code/events.cfm?curOrg=THAYER.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Crafts and Quilting Group
Noon Pool Players, Poker and Movie Day – Movie: Mirror, Mirror
1 p.m. Beacon Hospice (Week 2 of Program)