On this day in 1889, President Grover Cleveland signed a bill making North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Washington U.S. states. Plus, the "Miracle on Ice" was played in 1980 between America and the Soviet Union, and China and the U.S. agreed to set up offices to communicate with each other in 1973.
1. Braintree High School Boys and Girls Basketball Tournament Seeding takes place today.
2. Thayer Public Library hosts "Live Animals!" today from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium.
"Meet a variety of exotic animals from around the world! Children get to truly 'experience' mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates like never before. ... Suitable for ages 5 - 12. No registration, as the first 100 children age 5 - 12 will be the audience. Funded by the Friends of the Library."
3. The Teen Creative Writing Group also meets at Thayer Library from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the auditorium today.
4. With more snow possible this weekend, along with high winds and rain, enjoy a mostly sunny Friday with a high around 38 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight is mostly cloudy with a high around 28.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Weight Loss Support
10:30 a.m. Blood Pressure (free) by Home Instead
11 a.m. Tai Chi Class and Library van ride
Noon Pool Players
1 p.m. Women’s Poker