Born on this day in history: settler of what would become Rhode Island, Roger Williams (1603), William Wallace Lincoln, a son of Abraham Lincoln who died young (1850), Werner Ritter von Trapp, one of the famous singing group that inspired The Sound of Music (1915), former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno (1926), actress Jane Fonda (1937), musician Frank Zappa (1940), actor Samuel L. Jackson (1948) and comedian Andy Dick (1965).
1. Braintree High School boys varsity basketball takes on Norwood at home this evening at 6:30 p.m.
2. Remember: Town Hall will be closed on Dec. 24 and Dec. 25 for Christmas and Christmas Eve.
3. The BHS Choral and Instrumental Holiday Music Assemblies take place during blocks four and five today.
4. The Color Loft on Washington Street is having a free Children's Holiday Party from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today. Go to http://braintree.patch.com/events/childrens-holiday-party-03b2e366 for more details.
Would you like to post events for free on Braintree Patch? Just go to http://braintree.patch.com/events/new.
5. Santa is still at the South Shore Plaza, through Christmas Eve. More info: http://braintree.patch.com/events/santa-is-coming-to-town-at-south-shore-plaza.