Iowa was the 29th state admitted to the union on this day in 1846. In 1905, the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States, the NCAA's predecessor, was founded. The Pledge of Allegiance was officially recognized by Congress on this day in 1945. The Detroit Lions, on Dec. 28, 2008, lost to the Green Bay Packers, completing an 0-16 season.
1. Thayer Library is hosting "Teen & Tween Minute to Win It!" from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the auditorium:
"You've see the popular TV show Minute to Win It. Think you can do better? Find out in this fun program based on the TV show! We'll test your skills with silly challenges using everyday items and only 60 seconds on the clock. Open to teens and tweens ages 8-18. No registration required."
2. Winter break continues through Jan. 1 for Braintree Public Schools students.
3. Fire Chief candidates take written exams today in Thayer Public Library's Logan Auditorium. This part of the process is closed to the public. Chief Kevin Murphy is retiring effective Jan. 13.
4. Should be sunny today, but with a high only near 35, dropping to low 20s tonight, according to the National Weather Service.
5. Do you have holiday photos you'd like to share with Braintree Patch? Email email@example.com.