Born on this day in history: spy novelist John le Carre (1931), actor John Lithgow (1945), Extreme Makeover: Home Edition host Ty Pennington (1965) and actor/director Jon Favreau (1966).
1. Remember tomorrow is the Braintree Cooperative Bank Community Shred Day at 9 a.m. at 1000 Washington St. and the 4th Annual Great Grown-Up Spelling Bee at 11 a.m. at the South Shore Plaza.
2. For a list of roads in Braintree to be resurfaced today, go to http://www.braintreema.gov/News.aspx?387.
3. Tomorrow, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Thayer Public Library hosts "Tea With Mary Todd Lincoln" in the Logan Auditorium.
"You'll enjoy a full afternoon tea with sandwiches, scones, and fine sweets in the company of Mary Todd Lincoln. Mrs. Lincoln wil also give an historical presentation. Tickets may be purchased, in person only, at the reference desk on the lower level of the library. They are $20.00 each, payable by cash or check, to Friends of Thayer Public Library. You will be issued a ticket upon payment. Credit card users may purchase tickets via PayPal on the Friend's website at: www.friendsofthayerpubliclibrary.org."
4. Rain today with possible thunderstorms this afternoon in Braintree, according to the National Weather Service. Showers likely to continue until about noon on Saturday.
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Weight Loss Support
11 a.m. Tai Chi Class and Library Bound (please call for van ride)
Noon Pool Players
12:30 p.m. Ask the Lawyer (free) by appointments
1 p.m. Women’s Poker
2 p.m. Braintree Dept. of Elder Affairs Board Meeting - Open to Public