Marge Crispin, for those of you that don't know, was the pioneer of the Marge Crispin Social Services Center located at 74 Pond St. in Braintree, Ma.
Let us tell you about Marge. Marge Crispin was a politically prominent, compassionate woman who had the ability to foresee and initiate programs to assist the needy residents of Braintree as well as the elderly of the South Shore.
During the economically turbulent times of the 1970's, Marge knew many Braintree families who needed extra help with food and utilities such as electricity, telephone, and heat. At that time she began ''The Braintree Food Pantry'' and ''Braintree Holidays/Friends''. In the 1980's, she was able to foresee the need to keep senior citizens in their homes or those of loved ones as long as possible. She began our social day care program with just 5 clients. Today, we serve an average of 35 clients each day.
After her untimely death in 1992, her husband Don continued her programs until his unfortunate death in 1994. Since that time, Braintree Holidays/Friends, Inc. has been governed by a Board of Directors who serve in a volunteer capacity. Our Board of Directors is comprised of civic and business leaders.
Let us introduce you to the 2012 Board of Directors:
- Marta Googins, Chair
- Arthur Davies, Vice Chair
- Daniel Flatley
- William Crispin
- Aruthur Dalton
- Kathy DeWitt
- Kerri Eck
- Carolyn Loud
- Richard Frye
- Shyla Settles
- Bernice Hassam
- Hank Joyce
- Sandra Kunz
- Francis X. Messina
- Jane Palmer
- Sonya Shaw
We want to take a moment to tell you about our accomplishments over the past year:
- We distributed 80,050 lbs. of food donated from the Massachusetts Emergency Food Program, USDA and salvaged from retails stores via the Greater Boston Food Bank values at $68,000.
- We distributed 9,809 bags of groceries in our Food Pantry.
- We distributed between 145 and 170 food orders monthly. These bags provided 196,180 meals to families in need.
- Each family receives all the basics including: milk, eggs, cheese, whole chickens, hamburger, ground turkey, tofu, yogurt, fresh produce, as well as canned chicken, tuna, vegetables, pasta, sauce, rice, snack foods and so much more.
- We offer families choices! They choose only those foods items that best meet their likes and diets. This allows us to have more of an impact in alleviating hunger and food insecurity for these families.
- When available we offer: gluten free products, vegetarian, low sodium, and low sugar.
- The families we serve are made up of:
10% Senior Citizens
- Among the Adults in the families:
36% Unemployed and have lost their jobs
29% Are disabled
- This past Holiday season, we provided:
280 Children received toys and gifts.
230 Families a Thanksgiving frozen turkey with all the "fixins"
250 Families a choice of turkey or ham with sides for Christmas
We get our food from the following sources:
- Greater Boston Food Bank
- The local Business Community
- The local Churches
- Local Clubs and Organizations
- The Cheesecake Factory
- Kentucky Fried Chicken
- Individual Donors
- Local Schools
Thank you BraintreePatch for giving us an opportunity to share our message with the community. If you are interested in learning more about The Marge Crispin Center please call us - Patricia and Ann at 781-848-2124.