Five Things You Need to Know Today: July 20, 2012
A run-down of events and other useful information for your life in Braintree today.
Today in 1911, Braintree Town Hall burned down, the victim of faulty wiring and the limited fire equipment of the day. The original Town Hall was built in 1858, following a smaller building that was used at the corner of Washington and Union streets.
1. Thayer Public Library is hosting "Fun Friday" for all ages of children throughout the day. "Come make an easy craft!!! You can also put together a 'Hello Kitty' or a Bat puzzle. For children of all ages. Drop in anytime today 9:15 - 4:30. Part of the 'Dream Big – Read' Children's Summer Reading Program."
2. The Dark Knight Rises had a midnight opening last night at AMC Braintree. It is also showing at many times throughout the day today and this week. For showtimes, go to http://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-braintree-10.
3. Should be mostly clear and sunny today and through the weekend in Braintree, with temperatures in the upper 70s and low 80s, according to the National Weather Service.
4. The Anime Fan Club for Teens and Tweens is at Thayer Library from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Logan Auditorium. "If you love Japanese comics like Helatalia and Naruto, then don't miss the chance to watch Anime, discuss the newest manga, and more."
5. Activities today at the Senior Center on Cleveland Avenue include:
9:15 a.m. Exercise
10 a.m. Weight Loss Support
11 a.m. Tai Chi Class and Library Bound (please call for van ride)
Noon Pool Players
12:30 p.m. Ask the Lawyer (free) by appointment
1 p.m. Women’s Poker