Five Things You Need to Know Today: Jan. 26, 2012
A run-down of events and other useful information for your life in Braintree today.
On this day in history in 1802, Congress passed a law that laid the groundwork for the Library of Congress. In 1837, Michigan became the 37th state. On Jan. 26, 1861, Louisiana seceded from the Union. Nine years later on this day, Virginia rejoined the Union. India became a Republic on Jan. 26, 1950. In 2006, Oprah Winfrey confronted James Frey on her show about his lies in "A Million Little Pieces."
1. The Braintree Contributory Retirement Board meets at 10 a.m. on the second floor at 74 Pond St. Also, the Board of Health meets at 7 p.m. in the upstairs Johnson Chambers at Town Hall.
2. Walden Behavioral Care, LLC of Waltham, one of the country’s leading hospitals for treating eating disorders, will host an open house tonight for its new clinic in Braintree at 150 Grossman Dr. It will be from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and feature as speakers President and CEO Stuart L. Koman, Ph.D., who founded Walden Behavioral Care, and Paula Dowd, RN, Coordinator of School Nursing Services for Braintree Public Schools, and Braintree Mayor Joseph Sullivan.
For more info, see this article: http://braintree.patch.com/articles/eating-disorder-clinic-new-to-braintree-will-hold-open-house-next-week.
3. Thayer Public Library is hosting an "Estate Planning Essentials Workshop" today in the Logan Auditorium from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and again from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. "Are your assets protected? If not, you need to attend this free workshop by Attorney Robert Romano. He will cover Estate Planning, Medicaid Planning and Elder Law issues. Reserve your seat today. For more information call 617.769.9843."
4. Today is a teacher’s professional day for Braintree Public Schools, resulting in a half-day of classes for students. No lunch will be served. The dismissal schedule is as follows, courtesy of our Around the Schools feature:
- Kindergarten Students: 10:30 a.m. (AM students only, no PM classes)
- Braintree High School Students: 11:20 a.m.
- Middle School Students: 11:45 a.m.
- Full-Day Kindergarten Students: 11:50 a.m.
- Elementary Students: 12:10 p.m.
5. The Braintree Rotary Club meets at 12:15 p.m. today at Emerald Hall.