Five Things You Need to Know Today: Aug. 22, 2012
A great beach day, comment of the day, and Braintree charity.
1. Is Braintree another word for paradise? It will be mostly sunny today, with a high near 82, southwest wind 7mph, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Comment of the day from Lisa Dione on the pie vendor at the Braintree Farmers Market who will not accept EBT cards:
"This women Mrs. Taber, called a politician who then called the Herald that is how this started. A win:win for both of them. Then on a talk show she stated her pies had not butter they were vegan, so they are healthy. Then they were talking about nail salons. What does that have to do with her pies cookies? All I can think about is a mother with a small child wanting a cookie and not being able to have it if the mom recieves food stamps, or an older couple I saw both using canes and they can't have a goodie. Mrs. Taber should rename her pie company to URIAH HEEPS INCO., as that's how humble she is."
3. On this day in history in 1902, Teddy Roosevelt became the first president to ride in an automobile.
4. Our Picture of the Week contest, Patriot’s Pride and Football, ends at 9am on Friday. Upload your pictures now!
5. How generous are Braintree residents?