Braintree Girls Gymnastics Undefeated After First Week
The Wamps beat Weymouth and Framingham last week.
The Braintree High School varsity girls gymnastics team is on a tear so far this season, defeating Weymouth and Framingham in meets last week and looking ahead to Norwood and Needham this week. Below is a summary of the team's performance so far, provided by Head Coach Deb Duprey.
Tuesday, Jan. 3
Braintree: 127.9 – Weymouth 120. 6
1st all-around: Frankie Donahue 33.35
2nd all-around: Brooke Ellis 31.35
- Braintree swept the top three spots on bars:
1st: Brooke Ellis 8.2
2nd: Frankie Donahue 8.1
3rd: Therese Bambery 7.6
- Solid vaults for 1st (Frankie 8.95) and tie for 2nd (Erin Shea/Brooke Ellis 8.45). Lauren Machado also did well on vault with 8.15.
- We will continue to work hard on beam to reduce falls, but Frankie Donahue tied for first with Hannah Murphy from Weymouth (8.0). Third on beam was Therese Bambery (7.7). As a freshman, Megan Desmond did a fine beam routine with no falls.
- We did well on floor despite it being a wrestling mat: Tied for first Frankie Donahue and Therese Bambery (8.3). Second was Erin Shea with 8.2.
Friday, Jan. 6
Braintree: 133.15 – Framingham: 120.55
This was an outstanding second meet performance by our Braintree athletes. Many fine routines were executed. We earned a very high team score, which gives us encouragement for upcoming difficult meets. What was interesting was that a different Braintree athlete took first on each event, which speaks to the depth and talent of the team. The highest scores of the meet go to Frankie Donahue on vault (9.0) and Therese Bambery on floor (9.0).
- AA- 1st Frankie Donahue 34.5
2nd Brooke Ellis 32.8
- Strong routines on bars for 1,2,3 sweep:
1st: Brooke Ellis 8.6
2nd: Frankie Donahue 8.4
3rd (tie): Therese Bambery/Hannah Campbell 7.7
- Delivered a one, two punch on floor for Braintree:
1st: Therese Bambery (9.0)
2nd: Frankie Donahue (8.95)
- Braintree took 1st and 3rd on vault:
1st: Frankie Donahue (9.0)
3rd: Brooke Ellis (8.2)
- We still have work to do on beam to become more consistent, but ended up with scores good enough for first (Erin Shea-8.8) and third (Frankie Donahue-8.15) on the event.
This week we have two home meets: Norwood on Jan. 10 and Needham on Jan. 13. Come out and cheer on the girls. We lost to Needham last year and are hoping to come off with a win this year!
–Deb Duprey, Head Coach Braintree Gilr's Varsity Gymnastics